Friday 5 October 2012

A quick post: Roncevalles to Zubiri

Although its dark until after 8 am people started rising from 5:30. We were next to the heavy slamming bathroom door, so any hope of sleeping on was dashed.
We have formed into two groups, myself and the three Germans who speak English, and the Italians. However there is a fair amount of contact between us. The strange thing is that the Italians are quite Catholic, as are some of the other groups, and I am with a man who's here because Killimanjaro is too full of rubbish, and because Hemmingway was here, a woman whose trip to Nepal was scuppered because a friendship group fell apart at the last moment. I'm not complaining, it's good to be with these people, though I would feel less self-conscious about trying to get to mass, and into churches etc if I was with one of the more faith driven groups. Not that many people have come as groups. We all just meet and talk.

Yesterday I spoke to: a Danish couple who don't know how many times they've caminoed (Henry and Biddi)
; a Columian (Francisco) and a Mexican (Gemima?); the aunt of Bradley Keegan who played in the Ryder cup, and an open winning golfer in her own right, Pat, walking with Gale; Chris from Cape Town, Genna from Toronto, who hadn't met yet, Chris and John from Toronto; and a fair few others.

Second day's walk, was pleasant and easy, though my neck/ shoulders have got a little sun-burnt (the t-shirt I was wearing having a wide neck) and this hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment