Sunday 16 September 2012

Auxerre south along the Canal du Nivernais

Aude had kindly arranged for me to stay with the parents of her parish priest in a vilage called Rix a few kilometres south of Clamecy. (I was thinking of trying to ride to Decize all in one day.) This meant I had considerably more time. As it was raining heavily in the morning, I went to Mass in the cathedral and had a leisurely breakfast. By the time I set off, the sun was up and the canal looked fantastic. This was the easiest and most enjoyable day. I had time to explore villages as I passed. For anyone who is ever thinking about a cycling holiday, this wold be the perfect gentle introduction: a smooth level path through lovely country. It is a brilliant route. 

Pere Ivan's parents cooked a lovely supper for me, and although they had no English we managed to communicate for the evening in my pigeon French.

The next day there was a heavy mist, but this, too, made the canal look beautiful. All the lock gates were strung with cobwebs frosted with dew. And as the mist lifted and was burnt off by the sun, more of the idyllic countryside became visible. I met an English couple in their 60s and we stood and compared notes, and called all gentlemen at home abed, accursed that they were not here on the feast of the Holy Cross.

Finally I rolled in to the garden of Aude and Francois and their 4 mth old baby Jacques for a weekend of good food, good wine, a soft bed, and plenty of good English conversation and friendship. It has been a ovely rest, and a chance to catch up with this blog. 

(I will now be able to blog from my phone so posts should become more regular.)

No comments:

Post a Comment