Sunday 16 September 2012

Chalons to Troyes

My satnav device had let me down, or rather the route planning site from which I had downloaded my route. Approaching Chalons it directed me onto a Route National which is madness. However, it also enabled me to pick a route for myself along chalk white farm tracks.

Again this morning the satnav directed me to the RN, but again I was able to pick a route along minor roads. Everyone had warned me to expect rain today, however, despite waking to a tremendous thunder storm during the night, it was dry, but considerably cooler than on previous days. The first part of the day was comparatively easy, and Champagne is flat. However, the wind got up at about midday and all route pointed upwards on to large flat open farmlands of harvested fields. Although these were obviously fertile, in their post harvest state the land felt desolate. I always felt that I was on top of an upturned saucer, making my lonely journey on a narrow strip of tarmac, buffetted by the wind. The wind felt and sounded in my ears to be vicious, though to my chqgrin the few trees I passed were not bent double as I felt they ought to be. At least the long grasses had the decency to look thrashed about a bit.

This turned out to be one of the longest and hardest days yet. Eventually I made it to a hostel in Rosaires to the south of Troyes. Troyes itself is a fine town with a historic centre. I had time to go into the centre and visit the cathedral before making my weary way to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment